How to Decorate Your Graduation Cap
Graduation is right around the corner, and if you need some help creating the perfect grad cap, then we can help! Decorating your graduation cap is a lot of fun, plus, it will help your family or supporters spot you in the sea of graduates on the big day.
If you need some inspiration for a creative graduation cap, check out our post on Clever Graduation Caps Ideas or 30 Magical Disney Graduation Caps.
If you’re searching for the easiest way to get your perfect graduation cap, scroll down below to see our trick!
How to Decorate Your Graduation Cap Yourself
Once you have your perfect idea, and you’ve made sure that your school allows decorated graduation caps, then you can get started! Here are some materials you might need:
- Your mortar board
- Scrapbook paper
- A hot glue gun (recommended) or a glue stick
- Stickers/Letters for decoration
- Scissors or an exacto knife (recommended)
After you have your materials (you can pick them up at a craft store like Joann’s, Michael’s, or Hobby Lobby), you can start decorating:
- If you want to change the background color of the top of your hat, start by carefully measuring and cutting out your background sheet. Do this by tracing the cap and cutting the paper using an exacto knife or scissors.
- Add a hole in the center of your paper where your tassel will go. You can find this location by putting your paper over your graduation cap and finding the raised area and then carefully tracing and cutting. Make the hole slightly smaller than the tassel so that it will fit snugly.
- Glue your paper down over the top of your cap. Let dry.
- Figure out which side of your cap is the top by placing it on your head. The part that’s baggy should go on the back of your neck.
- Lay out stickers and other decorations on your cap. Use a ruler to help with spacing and ensure that everything is even, if necessary. You can tape them down and try on your cap to see how you like it before gluing.
- Glue stickers and any other decorations to your cap. Let dry.
Voila! Your graduation cap is finished!
Helpful Videos on Decorating Grad Caps
More of a visual person? Here are some great, short videos to help you make your decorate your cap!
BritxBrat2Fashion on YouTube has a great video for how to make a beautiful tassel topper:
earthtotia‘s video is also very helpful:
The Easiest Way to Get Your Dream Grad Cap
Buy it! If you’re running low on time or you’re really stressed or maybe you’re just not the most creative person, then find one on Zazzle or Amazon or Etsy that you love and order it! On Zazzle, you can even design your own or customize an already-designed one. On Etsy, you’ll be able to commission your own if there’s something specific you want. Here are some examples that they have (click on the image to find out more):
By buying your graduation cap, you’ll have a gorgeous cap that looks perfect with minimal effort!
You might also like:
- Graduation Caps for Nurses
- Graduation Caps for Teachers
- Graduation Party Photo Booth Ideas
- Graduation Caps for Special Education Teachers
- MBA Graduation Gift Ideas